Welcome to Carmel News Release page
Gallery Walk in the Carmel Arts & Design District
Saturday, September 9th
Carmel Arts & Design District
111 West Main Street
Carmel, Indiana 46032
September 6, 2017
Contact: Nancy Heck (317) 571-2474
IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk in the
Carmel Arts & Design District this Saturday, September 9th
CARMEL, IN – Join us on Saturday as we welcome Indiana Artisan Lisa Pelo of Hot Blown Glass, Inc.to the IU Health North Hospital Second Saturday Gallery Walk. Hot Blown Glass will be leading participants in creating their own glass formed pumpkin on 2nd Avenue Northwest near Scotty’s Brewhouse. Registration is currently sold out but walk ups will be accommodated for any cancellations.
The IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk is the event to seek out new and exciting exhibits at District galleries. While you’re here, visit any one of the District restaurants and discover all of the unique things the District has to offer. The Second Saturday Gallery Walk is on Saturday, September 9th from 5-9 p.m.
Additional featured artists and exhibits during the September Gallery Walk include:
· Fall for Color by Ladan Abbaspour and Maura Fox of CCA Gallery & Gifts (111 W Main St, Suite 135) is September’s featured exhibit. Ladan works in 2D acrylic while Maura is a fabric artist. Everyone is invited to the reception to meet the artists and enjoy light refreshments from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
· The Carmel Clay Historical Society (211 1st St. S.W.) features Forever Young: Young Women of Carmel 1975-2015. This exhibit showcases the art of retired Carmel High School teacher Dan Shoop. His first easel was a card table, he never had any formal artistic training and he is partially color blind. Yet, Shoop created beautiful renderings of people, places and animals. His single largest body of work is comprised of 57 portraits of Carmel High School students created over the course of his 46-year teaching and coaching career. Refreshments will be provided.
· Carmel Arts Council (40 W Main St.) is featuring art by students of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic School and Carmel High School. Modern Cathedral is presented by Our Lady of Mount Carmel in which each student worked on a stained glass design depicting their symbolic sainthood. Carmel High School’s exhibit represents artwork from The National Art Honor Society and the Advanced Placement Studio Art classes.
· Art on Main Gallery & Gifts (111 W Main St., Suite 140) will celebrate their Grand Opening with a ribbon cutting on Saturday, September 16th at 6 p.m. they will have a soft opening for the Second Saturday Gallery Walk. View the featured works of Jan Johnson and Anna Afshar during the month of September. Jan’s exhibit, End of Summer, features fruits and farm animals. Her piece Old Cat recently won at the state fair. Anna is a signature member of the Watercolor Society of Indiana and the Indiana Artist Club. Her exhibit features poppies and pieces from her European travels this summer.
· Soori Gallery (33 E Main St.) features paintings, bronze and acrylic sculptured works by leading American and international artists. Featured sculptors include Michael Wilkinson, Frederick Hart, Jerry Joslin and more.
Additional activities taking place during the September Gallery Walk include:
· Chinese Mooncake Festival at the Indiana Design Center from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
· Free caricatures and face painting by Custom Eyes Design (by All Things Carmel, 110 W Main St. #104)
· Entertainment by Michelle Qureshi, Dianna Davis and Emma Hendrick & the Main Street Jazz Band will take place throughout the District.
Be a part of the Scavenger Hunt that will lead you to find select pieces of art or items of interest in each of the participating galleries and businesses. Begin the hunt inside California Closets (1 S Range Line Rd.). Your completed Scavenger Hunt clue sheet will enter you for a chance to win one of several great prizes during the Gallery Walk, including:
o $25 gift card for The Pint Room
o High Tea for 2 from Tina’s Traditional Tea Room ($60 value)
o Gift Basket from The Olive Mill ($50 value)
o Glass Cheese Board from CCA Gallery & Gifts
o Cupcake Acrylic Artwork from CCA Gallery & Gifts
o $25 gift card for R4 Galleria
Follow the clues through the District and then turn in your completed clue sheet to receive a Gallery Walk Punch Card, new to 2017. Those who complete all three Scavenger Hunts in a quarter will be eligible for one of five prizes valued at about $150. In addition, at the end of the year, large prizes will be awarded to those who participated in all 12 months.
If you have participated and received a punch for the months of July, August and September, please make sure to enter to win a quarterly prize. This quarter’s prizes include:
· Dine the District Gift Basket
o $50 Pint Room Gift Card
o $25 Bub’s Burgers & Ice Cream Gift Card
o $25 Blu Moon Gift Card
o $25 Main Street Poke Gift Card
o $25 Mudbugs Gift Card
· Dog Daze of Summer Gift Basket
o $50 Joe’s Butcher Shop Gift Card
o $25 Canine Cloud Nine Gift Card
o Grilling Supplies
o Dog toys and treats
· Original Artwork from Hoosier Salon
A map of the gallery locations and more information about the IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk activities can be found at www.CarmelArtsAndDesign.com.
Public parking is available in the Carmel Lions Club lot (141 E. Main St.), Sophia Square parking garage (entrance off of 1st Ave NW), Indiana Design Center parking garage (200 S. Range Line Rd.) or available on-street public parking. The Arts & Design District parking map may be downloaded athttp://www.carmelartsanddesign.com/images/Carmel_District_ParkingMap.pdf.
The Carmel Arts & Design District is the Midwest’s premier arts and design destination. Home to more than 200 businesses, including art galleries, restaurants, antique dealers, design showrooms, boutiques, and creative service providers, the Carmel Arts & Design District promises to stimulate the senses. The Indiana Design Center is housed in the Carmel Arts & Design District. In addition, hundreds have taken advantage of the wide variety of housing opportunities and call the Carmel Arts & Design District home.
Stay on top of the news, follow the City of Carmel us on Social Media.
Follow us on