Building & Code Services
All construction must follow Federal, State, and Local codes. Inspection requirements may vary, depending on the type of work being done, and the type of inspection that is to be performed.
To schedule inspections, please call the Building & Code Services office at (317) 571-2444 at least one business day prior to the desired inspection date.
- Residential Inspection Requirements
- Commercial Inspection Requirements
- Swimming Pool / Spa Inspection Requirements
General Requirements for all projects:
- Your permit number will be required when scheduling.
- If there is a gate code or lockbox code required to gain access, it must be provided to the scheduler at the time of scheduling every inspection.
- The required inspections vary with each permit. The plan reviewer will determine which inspections will be required for your project.
- After the Footing and/or Under-slab inspections have been approved, the building permit placard must be posted at all times during construction. The placard must be located on a front window, facing the street, or the inspection will not be conducted and a re-inspection fee will be assessed. The placard must be accessible for signature by the inspector.
- The property owner (or their representative) must be present for inspections of occupied structures. Call to schedule these inspections a minimum of 24 hours in advance. A two-hour window will be given at scheduling, as someone will need to be on site to meet the inspector.
- Cancellations must be called into the main office at: (317) 571-2444.
- Additional fees may be charged, per ordinance, for additional inspections that are scheduled, which were not part of the original permit fee.