Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) - Effective January 1, 2018
Carmel Plan Commission Docket Number 17030006 UDO
Effective January 1, 2018:
Click here to see draft in PDF. format
Last Revision: SEPTEMBER 7, 2017
The Department of Community Services, along with our consultant, Ground Rules, Inc., sought approval to modernize the Subdivision Control and Zoning Ordinances, which were last codified in 1980 and 1993, respectively. The goals for the project are as follows:
1. Merge the Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Control Ordinance into a new, streamlined Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) format which is full of illustrations and graphics and is more electronically friendly.
2. Update the existing Subdivision Control Ordinance to address the current and future needs of the city and to incorporate best management practices.
3. Introduce new Districts which are intended to establish a tool for mixed-use, walkable development. Demand is increasing for this type of development, particularly in Central Carmel.
4. Remove Districts that have become irrelevant or are intended to be replaced by the new Districts.
5. Remove conflicting language and correct technical errors to the extent possible without changing content or intent of the regulations.
As outlined in the goals, DOCS and Ground Rules worked deliberately to maintain most of the existing Zoning Ordinance content. However, notable revisions were approved:
1. Three new zoning districts have been added to Article 2: Urban Residential, Urban Core and Meridian Corridor. These districts are intended to emphasize “mixed-use” trends in Carmel’s redevelopment areas such as Midtown.PROJECT CONTACT:
2. The U.S. 31 Corridor Overlay Zone has been removed and is intended to be replaced primarily with the new Meridian Corridor District. The purpose is to provide the U.S. 31 Corporate Corridor with more opportunities for mixed-use and infill development.
3. The Old Meridian District has been removed and is intended to be replaced primarily with the new Urban Residential and Urban Core districts.
4. The AG-Agriculture & M1-Manufacturing districts have been removed, as they do not exist on the current map.
5. The Subdivision Control Ordinance has been updated to introduce a variety of subdivision types (Article 6) and updated design standards (Article 7).
317-571-2417 | email@example.com
City of Carmel - Dept of Community Services
ONE CIVIC SQUARE, CARMEL, IN 46032