Carmel has become internationally known for its roundabout network. Since the late 1990’s Carmel has been building and replacing signalized intersections with roundabouts. Carmel now has 100 roundabouts, more than any other city in the United States.
Carmel builds roundabouts because of their safety record, their compatibility with the environments, their aesthetics and their ability to make it easier for pedestrians and bicyclists to navigate. In Carmel, where roundabouts have replaced signals or stop signs at intersections, the number of injury accidents has been reduced by about 80 percent and the number of accidents overall by about 40 percent. Our numbers are similar to those reported by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
CarmelLink (The Keystone Avenue Reconstruction Project)
How to drive the 116th and Carmel Drive Roundabout
Carmel hosted the 2011 National Roundabout Conference
Carmel Roundabouts in the News
Articles, news interviews and other information about Carmel's roundabout transportation networks has been featured all over the world. Below is a partial list of the media outlets where Carmel has been included.
- December 2016 - How to Plow a Roundabout
- December 2016 - Circular Logic: Making Intersections Safer in a Roundabout Way
- January 2016 – Carmel outlines bold roundabout plan
- March 2016 – Local businessmen spend morning circling Carmel roundabouts
- March 2016 – Why landscaping is being added to roundabouts in Hamilton County
- May 2014 – Study: Carmel has some of the lowest car insurance costs in Indiana
- October 2014 – City officials to visit Indiana town to discuss roundabouts
- October 2015 – Round and Round: Carmel man sets out to set roundabout driving record
- November 2015 – Indiana man sets world record for time spent driving in a roundabout
- October 2015 – Carmel roundabout a favorite in the U.K.
- October 2015 – Roundabouts may confuse, but stats back up their safety
- September 2015 – This one trick in Carmel, Indiana lowered traffic injury accidents by 80%
- March 2015 – Carmel mayor shares vision for elevated roundabout at 96th and Keystone
- January 2013 – In Indiana city, roundabouts all the rage
- June 2012 - Govpro.com - The Keating Report - Local Government Fiscal Realities
- May 30, 2012 - Peoria, IL - CNN News Now.com - What's to come by going round and round
- November 2011 - The Economist Magazine - featuring Carmel's Roundabouts.
- July 2011 - Governing Magazine - The Many Benefits of Roundabouts by Ryan Holeywell
- July 8, 2011 - Times-Herald online (Georgia) - There's a Roundabout Revolution in the U.S.
- July 4, 2011 - The Meggerman Report - A Roundabout Way to Control Traffic
- June 30, 2011 - BBC News Magazine - Is the British Roundabout Conquering the US? by Tom Georghegan
- June 14, 2011 - Global TV Toronto - Unlock Gridlock
- May 2011 CNN - Anderson Cooper 360 Show, Building Up America
- May 18, 2011 - Channel 6 - Myrt Price's story on the International Conference on Roundabouts
- October 6, 2010 - Financial Times - Road planners set to send US drivers in circles [PDF]
- October 4, 2010 - Newsweek - A Safer Route on the Roads in Indiana
- August 2009 - Midwest Construction - A Roundabout Highway Design
- May 28, 2009 - Sarasota Observer - Roundabout Central
- September 4, 2008 - TIME- You Want A Revolution
All About Roundabouts - produced by the City of Carmel
Roundabout Rookie - produced by the City of Carmel