Phone: (317) 571-2520
Door-to-Door Vendor and Solicitor Licenses and Permits
- Carmel City Code Section 4-26
Door-to-door solicitation shall include all methods and means of selling commercial products, services or property within the corporate limits of the City of Carmel, Indiana by and through uninvited in-person solicitation of persons located on residential property.
10 Day License - $15
120 Day License - $90
Year License - $180
Door – Door Solicitation Hours
9:00am – Dusk
If the solicitor is still in your area, call dispatch at (317) 571-2580 or 911 for emergencies. You may also register a complaint by calling the Carmel Police Records Division at (317)571-2520.
Vendors must submit an application to the Carmel Police Department, along with a $500 Surety Bond and Registration from the Secretary of State to do business in the State of Indiana. The application must include the name of each and every potential solicitor representing the Vendor within the City of Carmel, Indiana.
All proposed solicitors listed on the application will need to appear in person at the Carmel Police Department to sign Disclosure and Authorization statements and provide a valid government issued photo ID. A $20 non-refundable criminal history fee per solicitor is required and will be collected by the Carmel Police Department at this time.
- Any person aged 17 years or younger
- Any person or entity engaged in protected religious or political speech or activity who, due to the pre-exemption of applicable federal or state law, is exempt from local licensing requirements
Upon receipt of the Disclosure, Authorization, photo ID and fee, criminal histories will be requested through an outside vendor.
Upon receipt of completed criminal history reports, the application and proposed solicitor information is forwarded to the Chief of Police for approval/denial. Vendor will be notified of the status of their application upon approval/denial. Denied proposed solicitors will receive correspondence outlining the reason for denial.
For approved applications, there is a license fee of $3.00 for each required Vendor employee/agent non-transferable identification card that is due from the Vendor. Once collected, the approved individual solicitors must return to the Police Department with their government issued photo ID to pick up their ID badges. Individual ID badges will not be released to anyone other than the individual whose name appears on the badge. Failure to wear the ID badge and/or obtain the ID badge after approval of the License may result in the issuance of a citation for the violation of Carmel City Code 4-26.
In addition to the foregoing, Carmel City Code 4-26 provides the following Penalties:
(1) Any person who engages in Door-to Door Solicitation in violation of this Section shall be subject to a fine of $400 for each such violation, each day in which said violation occurs constituting a new offense.
(2) The City may seek a temporary and/or permanent restraining order against any Vendor and/or any employee or agent thereof in any court of competent jurisdiction.
(3) The City’s remedies hereunder shall be cumulative and pursuit of one remedy shall not preclude the pursuit of other under this Section or otherwise.
(4) Willful or intentional disregard of this Code section shall, to the full extent permitted by law, entitle the City to collect from the violator the City’s attorney fees, court costs, litigation expenses, and all other reasonable costs and expenses incurred in obtaining a restraining order and/or any other enforcement remedies against same.
Please contact the Carmel Police Department if you have any questions or if you require an accommodation in order to review the content of this website, or to complete a License Application.