Mayor Brainard has been featured in a number of local, national and international media outlets as an educator and advocate. Here are a few of his interviews:
Mayor Brainard being interviewed by CNN World News Anchor John King
City of Carmel in the News
- Al Jazeerah America – (08-27-2014) - Mayor Jim Brainard appeared on broadcast of Al Jazeerah America.
- Swiss Radio – (8-9-14) – Mayor Jim Brainard discusses roundabouts and their benefits to the environment on this radio program that is on a station that would be compared to our national public radio. This interview came about due to the Mayor’s service on the President’s Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resiliency.
- Environment & Engineering Publishing – E&E News – (7-28-14) – Obama Finds Kindred Spirit On Climate Change In A Republican Who Sees Paris In Indiana. Climate Wire’s story about Mayor Jim Brainard serving on the President’s State, Local and Tribal Leaders Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience.
- Huffington Post - (7-7-14) – “Republican Mayor Jim Brainard Believes in the Science of Climate Change”.
- The New York Times – (7-2-14) - City of Carmel feature focusing on the redevelopment of the city.
- Bloomberg News – (6-23-14) - "Mayors Skip Debate Over Climate Science, Move to Deal With Community Impacts.”
- The Hill – (6-23-14) - US Mayors Pass Climate Change Resolution.
- Livability.com – (5-19-14) – Carmel, IN Named a Top 10 Best City for Kids.
- Current in Carmel – (1-1-14) –Carmel No. 1 city for job seekers.“This ranking, along with many other good rankings and recognition, helps us build a brand,” Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard said in a statement.
- Bloomberg - (12-11-13) - Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard sat down with Bloomberg News reporter today in Washington D.C. to discuss his role on the While House climate task force.
- The WHITE HOUSE – (11-1-13) - Mayor Jim Brainard’s appointment to the Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience by the President of the U.S.
- Area Development OnLine - (9-3-13) - American Specialty Health Incorporated Relocates Corporate Headquarters to Carmel, Indiana.
- Indianapolis Business Journal – (8-30-13) - Health Firm Plans Move to Carmel, adding 675 Jobs (American Specialty Health Corporate Headquarters move announcement).
- Inside Indiana Business – (8-30-13) – George DeVries, CEO of American Specialty Health comments on why Carmel is an ideal place for the long-term growth of the company.
- US Mayor – the Official Publication of the US Conference of Mayors - (7-29-13) - The US Conference of Mayors featured a photo in their newsletter of local GEICO director Gary McKenzie, Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard, Berkshire Hathaway Chairman and CEO Warren Buffett, GEICO Chairman and CEO Tony Nicely and Indiana Governor Mike Pence with the GEICO Gecko as they cut the ribbon for the new GEICO offices in Indiana, located in Carmel.
- BØRSEN Ejendomme (Danish news weekly) - (3-14-13) - “The City’s Aesthetics Creates Jobs” by Louise With. Mayor James Brainard uses unconventional means in Carmel in search of jobs and growth.
- Indianapolis Business Journal - (3-4-13) – Baldwin & Lyons plans to move its headquarter to Carmel. The company plans to add 133 jobs over the next five years to its current workforce of 350.
- U.S. Conference of Mayors - (1-2013) -- Mayor Jim Brainard was quoted in this article about "local warming" while at the U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting this week in Washington D.C.
- Indianapolis Star – Carmel has major plans for 2013 – (12-26-12) – This article is about what Mayor Jim Brainard has planned for Carmel in 2013 including new buildings, roundabouts and a pedestrian path. Another main focus in 2013 is to bring more jobs to Carmel.
- Latitude News – (2012) – Carmel: A Little Bit of Western Europe in Central Indiana. How roundabouts and other Euro-style urban designs make Carmel more livable.
- U.S. MAYOR – (12-3-12) – The Official Publication of The US Conference of Mayor’s mentions Mayor Jim Brainard’s feature on the cover of the USA Today (pg 11).
- USA Today – (10-18-12) - More Small Towns Thinking Big by Haya El Nasser - Article about smaller cities that are becoming more cosmopolitan through redevelopment efforts. El Nasser traveled to Carmel recently to experience our community first hand. See the link below to read the article.
- CNN - Money Magazine – (9-20-12) - Best Places to Live 2012 - Carmel, Indiana was ranked as the number one best place to live in America for cities with a population of 50,000 – 300,000 by Money Magazine. They selected communities based on a combination of strong job opportunities, the variety of leisure and cultural activities available, great schools, low crime and quality health care.
- Smart Growth America - (9-19-12) - Smart Growth Stories: Local Planning for Global Competitiveness in Carmel, IN by Nicholas Chang - The article focuses on how the built environment and thoughtful smart growth planning can attract the best and brightest and stimulate economic development.
- US Mayor: 'We have a lot to learn from Europe' Deutsche Welle US mayor: 'We have a lot to learn from Europe'. The city of Carmel in the US state of Indiana has been named the best place to live in America among smaller cities. DW spoke to Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard, who's always looked to Europe for inspiration.
- The Keating Report – (7-10-12) - Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard quotes regarding Carmel’s reduced traffic management costs and traffic accidents due to the placement of over 60 roundabouts
- Wall Street Journal – (6-28-12) - Cities Outpace Suburbs in Growth. See chart in online article showing that Carmel is outgrowing Indianapolis, making it one of a few suburbs growing faster than their larger city neighbor.
- New York Times - (6-16-12) - Orlando. FLA - Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard quoted regarding actions taken by mayors to make economic progress in their cities.
- CINewsNow.com: What's to come by going round and round - (5-30-12) - Peoria, Illinois - Elected leaders and other involved citizens from Peoria, Illinois visited Mayor Brainard and Carmel, Indiana to learn more about roundabouts and traditional neighborhood developments.
- NEW PUBLICATION SHINES SPOTLIGHT ON CARMEL A newly-released coffee table style book, Carmel ‘round about right, chronicles this city’s incredible tale of growth and development with vivid text and vibrant photography.
- New York Times – (1-18-12) - “Few Cities Have Regained Jobs They Lost, Report Finds,” by Michael Cooper.
- The Economist - (11-19-11) - Reporter Natasha Loder traveled to Carmel to meet with Mayor Brainard and experience roundabouts first hand.
Back to the Mayor's homepage