City of Carmel
One Civic Square, Carmel, IN 46032
Date: November 9, 2016
Contact: Nancy Heck (317) 571-2474
Holiday Light Recycling Drive
– Carmel Clay Schools Green Teams, City of Carmel Utilities, Tech Recyclers and White’s Ace Hardware are working together to offer a Holiday Light Recycling Drive.
Starting November 23th and running through January 9th, the ability to recycle used Holiday lights will be offered at White’s Ace Hardware at 731 South Range Line Road. The Carmel Clay Schools Green Teams will be offering recycling at the individual schools from November 28th through January 5th. This is the 5th year of the program, which has generated more than two tons of holiday lights for recycling.
Recycling inoperable or inefficient holiday lights keeps those items out of landfills which reduces the long term carbon impact on our environment. Additionally, EnergyStar rated LED lights uses 75 percent less energy compared to conventional lights.
They also have the following advantages:
- Safer: LEDs are much cooler than incandescent lights, reducing the risk of combustion or burnt fingers.
- Sturdier: LEDs are made with epoxy lenses, not glass and are much more resistant to breakage.
- Longer Lasting: The LED lights lasts 25 times longer than conventional holiday lights.
- Easier to install: Up to 25 strings of LEDs can be connected end-to end without overloading a wall socket.
- (Source: www.energy.gov)
Consider upgrading to LED lights this holiday season. You will be helping the environment and saving in energy costs. Don’t forget to recycle your old strings of lights!
For more information about the Holiday light recycling program please call 317-571-2673.