Public Facilities Use
Please read our "Public Use Policy and Rules" which can be seen below on this web page by just scrolling down, before filling out the "Public Use Facilities Form"
Please use this form to request the use of public facilities such as the Gazebo, Center Green or the Japanese Garden.
This form is also used when requesting that streets be closed or used for events such as fundraising runs, neighborhood picnics or competitive races.
Fill out the form completely and deliver or mail the signed form to the reception desk at City Hall.
Please click here to see and download "The Public Facility Use Policy and Rules"
or scroll down to read "The Public Facility Use Policy and Rules" on-line
This document outlines the policies and rules that govern the use of public facilities in the City of Carmel.
Please click here to see and download "The Public Facility Use Form"
This link takes your to a page where you can download the form to request to use a public facility.
FACILITY USE POLICY
Carmel residents and organizations may use certain City of Carmel, Indiana (“City”) facilities, primarily the City’s Reflecting Pool (excluding the area known as Veteran’s Plaza), Gazebo, and Fountain Area at City Hal in accordance with this Facility Use Policy. Veteran’s Plaza is not available for use, as it is considered a solemn memorial honoring living and deceased American Veterans. Due to the wide variety of events and activities for which the use of a City facility may be requested, the City, by and through its Board of Public Works and Safety (“Board”), reserves the right to require additional terms and conditions as circumstances dictate.
FACILITY USE REQUEST PROCEDURES
A. Applicant shall complete the attached Facility Use Request Form and Acknowledgement Agreement, and any additional attachments (if applicable) as described in items 5 and 9 below. They are to be delivered or mailed to the Carmel City Hall, Attn: Lobby Reception Desk, One Civic Square, Carmel, IN 46032 a minimum of (1) month prior to the planned date of the event or activity. Approval of the request must be granted by the Board, which meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month. The Board will not generally consider any application which does not meet the deadline discussed above.
B. No fee will be charged to use the City’s Reflecting Pool, Gazebo, or Fountain Area at City Hall.
C. A security deposit of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00), in the form of a certified check or money order made payable to the “City of Carmel”, must accompany the completed Facility Use Request Form and Acknowledgement and Agreement Form. This security deposit will be used to pay for any consequential clean-up, repairs, damages and/or utility costs resulting from the use of a City facility. Applicant remains liable for all costs and damages which exceed the amount of the security deposit. The security deposit will be refunded to the extent it is not used to pay for repairs, costs or clean-up associated with the use of a City facility. Final determination of damages shall be made by the City Facilities Manager or his designee.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF FACILITY USE1. The use of a City facility for a City-sponsored function shall take priority over its use for all other purposes, regardless of any prior approval for another purpose has been obtained. In addition, an annual or ongoing event shall be given preference over a one-time event. Otherwise, all requests will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Requests may be submitted to the Board up to twelve (12) months in advance of the activity or event date.
2. The requested use of a City facility must conform to the design and intended function of the facility shall comply with all applicable Federal, state and local laws and must not be injurious to the public health, safety or general welfare.
3. Applicant shall immediately clean up the City facility at the conclusion of the event or activity, and restore the facility to the condition it was in immediately prior to use.
4. Applicant shall not charge an admission fee for an activity or event without prior Board approval. Voluntary donations may be solicited. REVISED 11/8/2010
5. If vendors will be included in the event or activity, applicant shall upon submission of the application provide a list identifying each vendor (i.e. name, address and telephone number), copies of any pertinent licenses/permits from the Hamilton County Department of Health and/or other governmental agencies; the items they will be selling, and the times each vendor will be at the City facility to set-up and dismantle its booths or displays.
6. Vehicles may not be parked or driven on the grass or sidewalks around any City facility. Vehicles loading or unloading must remain on a street or other paved area. Vehicles may not block the handicap accessible area from the street surface.
7. Applicant shall not drive any stakes or rods into the grounds of any City facility. Restriction of these devices is required in order to avoid damage to underground wiring and irrigation systems.
8. Applicant shall not use nails, tacks or any similar devices to attach booths or displays, to hang decorations or signs or to otherwise attach anything to any surface of a City facility or a City sidewalk or street without permission of the City’s Facilities Manager or his designee.
9. Applicants for any event that include street closures shall notify all residential units, and/or business enterprises in the area, or along the entire route of any street(s) closure. Proof of notification shall be submitted with the application.
10. Applicant shall comply with all laws which prohibit discrimination against any employee, applicant for employment or sub-contractor (including vendors) in the performance of any duty associated with the activity or event, with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions, privileges of employment and/or any matter directly or indirectly related to employment or subcontracting, because of race, religion, color, sex, handicap, national origin, ancestry, age, disabled veteran status or Vietnam era veteran status. The City reserves the right to collect a penalty as provided in IC 5-16-6-1 for any person so discriminated against.
11. The use of a City facility is subject to availability.
12. The Board reserves the right to deny or revoke, in its sole discretion and for any lawful reason, any request to use a City facility, and applicant agrees to hold the City, the Board, and their respective officers, officials, employees and agents, harmless from any damages, costs or expenses that applicant may incur as a direct or indirect result of such denial or revocation.
13. Please call (317) 571-2400 or email Carol at CDixon@carmel.in.gov for verification / confirmation that your form was received and whether or not the facility has been reserved for you and that the facility is indeed available for your event.
14. Any questions regarding the City’s Facility Use Policy should be directed to (317) 571-2400